What do you crave the most on a gluten- free diet?
Posted by ivylau on November 19, 2014 - Leave a comment
It was one of those days (you know them well). I woke up and immediately thought of dessert foods. Specifically I craved a good cream puff or eclair. Being gluten free, I hadn’t enjoyed one for a long, long time. I could almost taste the cream and fluffy, light crust.
Of course I couldn’t run out and buy an éclair so I did the next best thing: I sent out a tweet to my twitter friends. I asked simply: What do you crave the most for on a gluten- free diet? Then I started looking for helping them meet their cravings (recipes).
Like a typical Mom (as my daughter said), I always try to find a solution for everything. Or as my husband put it, I always have an answer for everything.
Anyhow here are some of things you miss, not in any special order
CJ. @TumblingGF “Sometimes, a cinnamon roll-this is my #gf craving”
• Gluten-free Cinnamon Rolls: http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/04/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls/
La meringue toquée @meringuetoquee - “I miss croissants. I am french ”
• Flaky Gluten Free Croissants… from gluten-free Recipe Box: glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-croissants/
• Gluten Free Croissants from gluten-free on a Shoestring- http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/gluten-free-croissants-usa-pan/
Brigette Heller @HellerBrigette -”Oats aren’t one of them for me… But Oreos… Oh I miss those.”
• Gluten Free Oreo Cookies from Food.com- http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-oreo-cookies-186848
• Gluten-Free Oreos from Serious Eats- http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/gluten-free-oreos-recipe.html
Taylor Miller @GlutenAway “Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies!! Mmmm…” Sorry, Tylor. Please do not use oatmeal.
• Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from Sally’s baking addition: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/02/favorite-pumpkin-oatmeal-cookies/, http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/gluten-free-oreos-recipe.html
Taylor, this may help too. New clue in celiac disease puzzle: Cause of oat toxicity explained
DrHornetBupp @DrHornetBupp – “BREAD, pasta that’s not funny tasting.”
• The gluten-free bread and pasta, taste pretty good nowadays. I use UDI and Glutino’s bread a lot and my husband likes them too.
GlutenFreeGal @KirstenBermanGF: “I miss spanakopita”
@IMonkBakery -”I crave #softpretzels with salt!”
• Auntie Anne’s-Style Gluten Free Soft Pretzels- http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/auntie-annes-style-gluten-free-soft-pretzels/
• Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites (Dairy-free with Vegan option) @ Tasty Yummies http://tasty-yummies.com/2013/12/02/gluten-free-soft-pretzel-bites-dairy-free-with-vegan-option/
• @IMonkBakery also told me “My hubby made an incredible GF DF nut-free soft pretzel” and “willing to share with his recipe, once he perfect it”. So stay tuned for this one.
Veda @VedaNutrition – “a cinnamon roll tis my #gf craving”
• The World’s Easiest Cinnamon Rolls; http://minimalistbaker.com/the-worlds-easiest-cinnamon-rolls/
• Gluten Free Cinnabon Copycat Cinnamon Roll Recipe, Updated and now Easier to make! http://recreatinghappiness.com/breakfast-recipes/gluten-free-cinnabon-copycat-cinnamon-roll-recipe-updated-and-now-easier-to-make/
Rossana Wyatt @RossanaWyatt - “really good butter tarts!”
• Gluten Free Butter Tarts: http://foodchallenges.ca/gluten-free-butter-tarts/
MrsLauraliciousFoods @MrsLauralicious ”Gluten-Free Foods…and Rice Chex!”
Mindy Kay Ray @MindyKayRay “OMAGOSH! Pizza!!”
Kathy Smart@Smart_Kitchen ”cupcakes!”
Dougie @GFDougie “A sandwich! $ or quality don’t = getting.”
So is there a pattern here? Yes and no. Gluten-free Pizza, sandwich and cupcakes are something we all crave at some point but we all have our individual likings too.
Lucky, there are lot of restaurants to cater to those wanting GF pizza, sandwiches and other everyday meals,and of course there are a lot of those recipes on-line. Gluten-free cupcakes are available in a few select bakeries; if you can’t find them, they’re definitely in the freezer sections in many grocery stores.
BTW, this (frozen food) is a viable option. It often gets a bad rap but it it’s actually the best way to preserve food (vs using preservatives). That’s what we do as a gluten free food manufacturer, producing Gluten-free Sweet & Sour Chicken and other Asian food. We don’t use any preservative on our products because we make them and freeze immediately to keep the taste and the nutrient in the food.
Anyhow hope everyone gets their cravings taken care of. Happy to be gluten free.
Visit us on our website www.ivysgardenfood.com for more delicious gluten free recipes. You can also buy our (Ivy’s Garden) Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken, Gluten Free Lemon Chicken and Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets food products online or stores near you. http://www.ivysgardenfood.com/stores-or-online/